JRR Tolkien - The Lord of the Rings Folio Society signed Limited Edition
Illustrated, signed and numbered by Alan Lee
Preface by Alan Lee
Limited to 1,000 numbered copies - sold out at publisher.
A story as epic as The Lord of the Rings deserves an edition to match. Featuring stunning new work by Alan Lee alongside all of his original illustrations, and strictly limited to just 1,000 sets each numbered and signed by the artist, this is the finest version of Tolkien's beloved masterpiece. The greatest classic of fantasy fiction and one of the most celebrated stories of all time, The Lord of the Rings defined a genre and created a world that inspires and enchants to this day.
This exquisite three-volume set is presented in a silver-blocked slipcase (lined with a hidden illustration) with a new art print exclusive to this edition and a pair of maps drawn by Christopher Tolkien, printed together and presented in a cloth-covered case. Each volume is quarter-bound in burgundy calfskin leather blocked in silver, with an illustrated inset label, silver page tops and a burgundy satin ribbon marker. The text itself - printed in black and burgundy - is the most up-to-date and academically rigorous available, and is accompanied by a new preface written exclusively for this edition by the artist.
- Limited to 1,000 sets numbered and signed by Alan Lee.
- Quarter-bound in leather with cloth sides blocked in silver and inset with illustration label
- Circular limitation tip printed letterpress on Tintoretto paper hand tipped within a gold border
- Set in Dante with Testament as display
- 1,504 pages in total over three volumes printed on Munken Pure paper
- Printed in black and burgundy throughout
- 53 colour illustrations in total printed on Veltique paper tipped within printed borders
- 57 illustrated chapter openers
- Endpapers printed with a design by the artist
- Also included is a Note on the Text by Douglas A. Anderson, a Note on the Revised Text by Wayne G. Hammond and Christina Scull, Tolkien's Foreword to the Second Edition and Prologue, as well as Appendices and Indexes Silver page tops
- Burgundy satin ribbon markers
- Two maps printed together in black and red and enclosed in a case covered in blocked cloth
- Hand-made cloth-covered slipcase blocked in silver and gunmetal with printed illustration inside
- 12" ×?7¾"
- Separate print presented in a folder of Pergamenata paper.
Please note this is a large and heavy set - shipping outside the UK will need to be tailored for its destination.